DPC Home
  The past of Grønlands Handels Plads - in Danish

Grønlands Handels Plads, where the Danish Polar Center is situated, was for 200 years the busy hub for trade with Greenland, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Dried fish, salted heering, waling oil and fur from a variety of animals was stored here before it was delivered to the European market.

Picture of an etching by N.J. Bredal of Den kongelige grønlandske Handels Plads 1818. To the left is the whale oil boilery, in the middle is the yard-men residence and to the right is the cooperage. In the background to the left is the fur warehouse and in the middle the Greenlandic warehouse from 1767.
Groceries, building material, post and many other necessities were loaded to the merchants ships here. And it is the place where generations of Greenlanders, Icelanders and Faroe islanders and Danes departed or were welcomed.
The area is part of an island established in the mid 1700. Originally the area was under water, but in 1735 the king gave the area to a merchant and shipowner, Andreas Bjørn, who over time filled the area with material and garbage from the city of Copenhagen. 15 years later the existing 30.000 m2 surfaced. Bjørn founded a shipyard by Wilders Plads, and the rest of the area turned into a klondike of small shipyards, workshops, warehouses and residences.
The present Grønlandske Handels Plads was taken over in 1747 by the trading company, which traded with Greenland. The same company also took up trading with Iceland and the Faroe Islands in 1763.
In 1766 the first of the present warehouses were erected.
The first ship from Greenland after the II World War arrived to Grønlands Handels Plads. It was the first reunion in five long years of separation and Danish occupation.